Monday, July 12, 2010

What to expect from this blog

Hi! I'm JJ, a young woman from New York who's interested in tightlacing. If you don't know what that is, it's the practice of wearing a corset to reduce one's waist. It can be done safely if you take your time and wear only the highest quality of corset over a long period of time. But of course those corsets are not cheap. Right? Well, I aim to find out. All over the Internet you can find beautiful custom made corsets for a range of $150-$1000, depending on how fancy you want it. Indeed I have ordered one, but it will take a minimum of 8-10 weeks for delivery. But I'm too excited to wait for it, I want to start training my waist to be tiny now! XD 

So what's a girl to do? Ebay. Any experienced corset wearer will tell you that there is tons of plastic garbage masquerading as a good corset on Ebay, but some sellers claim they have 'genuine steel boned' corsets that are 'suitable for tightlacing.' And for less than $100! Some even cheaper than you can imagine. I decided to purchase a wide variety of them to compare. Over the next few weeks I'll be posting videos, photos & commentary on the quality of these bargains, so anyone else looking to tightlace on a budget will know which sellers to avoid. There are a lot of cool people on the various tightlacing & corset forums, but no one could tell me anything about finding a good corset for cheap besides 'it's hard'. I'll go a bit deeper, and hopefully my answer will be 'it's doable!' 

I'll be posting every Monday. See you in a week!

4 comments:

  1. Hey I just wanted to tell you I SO appreciate what you are doing... I have been wondering who is worth a darn myself and I KNOW a good corset doesn't have to cost as much as some people are listing them for. A custom made item is worth its weight don't get me wrong, but not everything that is inexpensive is cheap. Thanks for what you do. I'll be reading regularly. Don't stop for NOTHIN"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I really appreciate your comment <3
    I'm so pleased to know the reviews are helpful. A lot of people I know would say 'yes a good corset DOES have to cost that much!' and I never intended to short-change a good seamstress. An excellent corset made to measure will cost you and be absolutely worth it. I just got so sick of hearing people who wanted corsets but didn't have a lot of money get told 'well just save your money, you can't find a good steel one for less than $100, there's nothing but lingerie corsets or flimsy plastic bustier, etc'. The kicker is that if you look on some of the ebay pages, they have photos of steel bones being inserted into a corset! I HAD to prove them right or wrong. I'm soo glad this turned out to be a positive blog rather than an expose. Welll I have quite a few reviews to go before I go fully custom, there might be an expose yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd found your blog earlier, I just ordered two corsets from this guy (may've been different user names though) and I hope they have waist tape... I'm currently trying to tight lace & Waist Train as well, I did it about a year ago and then quit and my waistline has suffered. :( So, back into the corsets I go, especially since my wedding vow renewal is soon! Love your blog, will continue to read... the title is hilarious, too, by the way. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oop, by 'this guy' I meant europastyle whatever. I posted on the wrong entry, </3

    ReplyDelete